Fever is the most common symptom in many diseases in children. As the thermoregulation function of child is not perfect, many external factors can make the body temperature rise. It is generally believed that when the anal temperature, oral temperature and axillary body temperature are more than.37.8℃, 37.5℃， and 37.4℃, a child may get fever . Axillary body temperature 37.5 ~ 38℃ is low fever, 38 ~ 39℃ is moderate fever, 39 ~ 40℃ is high fever, more than ultra high fever 40℃。
What to do if your child has a fever?
- Inform the medical staff in detail such as the time of fever, the fluctuation of body temperature, whether the cheeks are flushed or pale, the breathing is rapid, irritability or drowsiness during fever, whether the limbs are accompanied by cold, shivering, startle, or even convulsions.
- Take correct and reasonable cooling measures in time.(1)Physical cooling: Open the package of small babies, cover a cold patch on the forehead or put an ice bag under the head as pillow, warm water (35 ~ 37℃) bath, alcohol bath (prohibited in small babies ) and other methods.(2)When the temperature of the patient exceeds 39℃, the nurse will use medicine to cool down him/her according to the doctor’s order.Take the temperature from half an hour to one hour after cooling treatment, pay attention to the child’s consciousness and sweating, and avoid prostration. Inform medical staff of any sudden rise or drop in body temperature.(3)Reduce the environment temperature as soon as possible and avoid direct blowing.
- The temperature of the patient should be measured every 4 hours, and the interval time of temperature measurement can be shortened for those with high fever.
- Let the baby rest in bed and do oral and skin care. If the baby sweats more, clothes should be changed in time to prevent catching a cold. Strengthen oral care. Patient with high fever need to keep warm when their limbs are cold..
- Drink more water when necessary, eat easily digestible liquid or semi-liquid food with rich calorie, protein, and vitamins.
- Children with a history of febrile seizures or startled should be informed the medical staff as soon as possible, and should be treated with cooling interventions as soon as possible according to the doctor’s order. If necessary, sedatives should be given.
Fever Nursing Guideline for Parents
- When the child has upper respiratory tract infection and other conditions, pay attention to the temperature changes.If there is any abnormality, come to the hospital in time. Babies with high fever can be bathed in warm water if the condition permits.
- Children with a history of febrile convulsion. (1)Keep a thermometer at home.(2)Prepare antipyretics. If the body temperature of the patient is higher than 39℃, more than 4 hours should be waited before the patient can take the anti-fever medicine again（such as paracetamol tablets and ibuprofen tablets）. (3)When a convulsion occurs, lie on the back with the patient’s head to one side, and send to the hospital in time